What is an RFID SYSTEM and how does it work?
An RFID system is a "Radio Frequency Identification Device" security system and works in the same way as bar codes, tracking and capturing information on products, assets and inventory. RFID tags have been embedded with microchips. or integrated circuit (IC), and antennas. and use radio wave lengths to send and receive data.The RFID system is made of three parts the scanning antenna, transceiver with a decoder to interpret the data sent from the tag and the RDIF tag that has been programmed with data. There are two types of RFID tags, active tags and passive tags.
ADVANTAGES OF RFID SECURITY SYSTEMS:• RFID tags don't need to be on the surface of the object to be read. • RFID tags can be read quickly in less than 100 milliseconds. • A large number of RFID tags can be read at once.
TYPES OF FREQUENCIES RFID SECURITY SYSTEM OPERATE ON
RFID systems use radio frequencies that can communicate between each of the RFID system components. These RFID systems are able to operate on low frequency (LF), high frequency (HF) and ultra-high frequency (UHF) bands. RFID systems operate more often on UHF bands, UHF is ideally used for item tagging where active and passive tags reside within the UHF bands. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ACTIVE RFID AND PASSIVE RFID SECURITY SYSTEM?
ADVANTAGES OF ACTIVE RFID (RADIO FREQUENCY IDENTIFICATION DEVICE)
- • Active tags can be read from a hundred feet or more, a long distance
- • Electricity provides power to the sensors in the active tags
- • Active tags have the highest data bandwidth
DISADVANTAGES OF ACTIVE RFID
- • Active tags can't function without batteries or a power source
- • Active tags are larger compared to passive tags which may limit use
- • Active tags require long term maintenance, batteries must be replaced
ADVANTAGES OF PASSIVE RFID SECURITY SYSTEM
- • Passive tags can function without batteries and have a long lifespan of twenty or more years
- • Passive tags are less expensive to manufacture
- • Passive tags have a wide variety of sizes and shapes; tags are much smaller for unlimited use in consumer goods and other areas
DISADVANTAGES OF PASSIVE RFID SECURITY SYSTEM
- • Passive tags can only be read at very short distances, this limits the device for other uses
- • Passive tags can't include sensors that use electricity as a power source
- • Passive tags remain readable, even after the item has been sold and is no longer being tracked